Thursday, November 15, 2007

Black Ice and Elk

Traveling at night will prompt Papa to worry about black ice, and Fletcher to worry about elk. Or as Anthony and AJ say "Elk Elk Elk Elk" No need to worry anymore, Monday night we were headed home after spending the day with Wendy in Flagstaff. We wern't 10 minutes on the road when "Boom" we hit an elk. I thought we hit a car, until Fletcher said we just hit an elk. We were in the passing lane and he just jumped out at us and we plowed right into him. Everyone was fine except Fletcher. No don't worry he wasn't hurt physically, but his truck was mangled and his door couldn't open so he had to sit and wait for the DPS officer to come.
The funny thing is the 911 operator and the DPS officer were really concerned as to if the elk was deceased. I'm pretty sure he is dead, we have blood down the side of the car and the front and drivers side is munched up. So I called Wendy and asked her to pick us up, we would be staying another night. Her boys were excited in fact in Reeds prayers he was thankful that we would be living with them until our truck was fixed.
On our way home the next day,(in daylight) we passed by the "scene of the accident" and there was our buddy the elk still in the medium, I'm no hunter or expert but his "rack was pretty big, probably a 5x5" I have no idea what that means.

Now on to my new crusade. If Jeff can campaign for gluttonous praise then I will too. I need only 5 responses to start blogging again.

8 comments:

Kim Skinner said...

heidi! i miss you. now that i found your blog, i can stay in touch with your perfect life. how is monchichi?

ld said...

Did you use the Polaris to get home?

PS: As they use to sing on that show with Vinnie Barbarino (John Re-volta)…Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Sheri said...

One of my worst fears is hitting an elk. That and having spiders crawl on my face.

Rose said...

Kim so good to hear from you. Monchichi is very cute and VERY naughty. Her favorite words are NO and MINE. Go figure!


Also Lance, I think you have me confused with Wendy. She is the one with all the manly toys.

Dana said...

Yikes!! I can't believe they were concerned about the elk! Umm...there were humans to be concerned about. Glad your back posting again.

Arnett's said...

Anthony says... elk..elk..elk really loud.

ducklips said...

Hi! This is Elise. How are you? I was just blog stalking and wanted to show my support for you to keep blogging.

I'm glad to hear you are all ok. That must have been really scary although it makes for an exciting story.

Chea said...

I heard that in New Mexico the elk dont cross the road. Is that true and what about chickens do they also not cross the road in that greatest state. Mexico Neuvo